Shaping New Moulds: HMC 7.0
The Hall management council met on the evening of 10th March 2017 to resolve the issues pertaining to the boarders of the halls as well as discuss other initiatives and revise decisions if needed. The chief warden Prof. M R Barik presided over the meeting. The excerpts from the meeting are as follows.
Revised rule for distribution of Prasad during Puja
It was decided that from next time onwards open Prasad would be distributed near the puja mandap and that packets would be distributed only in the Halls of residences.
Grand farewell Dinner
This year the grand farewell would be celebrated on 8th April 2017(Saturday) and the chief warden urged all the committees to work proactively and make this farewell a grand one.
It was decided that the contract of the grand farewell dinner including catering and decoration would be given to the caterers of various halls of residences. There will be 40 to 50 volunteers who will be coordinating the event. They will be provided with T-shirts and batches. Food coupons and invitation cards would be made ready by the committee in advance so that they could be timely distributed and mementos would be distributed to all the outgoing or graduating students before 6th April 2017.
The total tentative expenditure in Grand farewell is INR 24,54,000. The menu has also been decided and the quotation for the ice cream of Amul brand has already been received from the two authorized dealers and it was urged to initiate the purchase order by the concerned committee. The price of the menu was also finalized as INR 330 per plate.
Maintenance of Halls during vacation
In order to undertake the maintenance work during the vacations, it was decided that all the rooms of the halls would be vacated except the rooms of M. Tech Dual degree (final), M. Tech, M. Tech(R) and PhD students. The belongings of the boarders would be kept in one or two rooms in the same block or in the common rooms of the concerned hall and all the boarders staying in the hall during vacation would be shifted to one/two blocks depending on the requirement for economical consumption of water and electricity.
Hall/Room Allotment for the academic session 2017-18
With the current academic year concluding in a few months, the boarders are given an option to change their halls for the upcoming academic year. It is mandatory for the first year boys to change their halls whilst it’s not a compulsion for the girls. In accordance, a committee would be setup. The committee includes:
Name of the member
Prof. M.R. Tripathy, Warden, MV
Prof S. Kayal, Asst. Warden, GDB
Prof. Snehanshu Pal, Asst. Warden, VS
Prof. S. Verma, Asst. Warden, CVR
Prof S. Rekha, Asst. Warden, KMS
Prof. Natraj Yedla, Asst. Warden, SD
The allotments will be made in the month of the April 2017. The committee is requested to submit a report by March 31st 2017 stating the number of rooms vacated by the final year boarders, number of final boarders for the next year and the procedure for shifting the boarders from MV, GDB and KMS to other halls.
The male boarders can give a group choice of six students along with the hall of their choice and the shifting to a particular hall and as a group cannot be a matter of right.
General discussion about the hall
General discussions took place regarding the hall maintenance and how the issue will be attended to. Two major points that can be inferred from the discussion are:
- All Assistant wardens, wardens and all secretaries of halls need to cooperate for the overall maintenance of the hall. The repairs of water coolers and aqua-guards, etc. are under process.
- Bird flu which was detected in Rourkela a few months ago saw the mess menu alter with the ban on chicken. With a consensus arrived at the meeting about the flu being abated in Rourkela, Chicken Items in the mess will now be continued subject to the availability in the market. The chicken items will be available only for two weeks from 12-03-2017 to 26-03-2017 as a precautionary measure. The matter will be put under observation and further continuation of the item in the mess will be reviewed and notified accordingly.
Miscellaneous issues with the permission of the chair
- Solar heating system is being planned to be set up in the institute for economical consumption of electricity and Ceasefire Kitchen Fire Extinguishers (Product-CHPS) for preventing unwanted fire in the food preparation area inside the mess. A committee has been setup to look into both the proposals and submit a report to the chief warden.
The committee includes:
Name of the member
Prof. A. Thirugnanam, Warden, SSB
Prof. Jugal Mohapatra, Warden, VS
Prof. Suman Jha,Warden, SD
Prof. Ashok Mondal, Asst. Warden, MSS
Prof. S. Rekha, Asst. Warden, KMS
Mr. Rajesh Beuria, Technical Assistant(catering)
- The Holi celebrations took place on 13-03-2017, Monday from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM at Sachin Tendulkar Stadium (in front of MSS hall). It was decided to adhere to the following points strictly during the celebrations:
- No chemicals should be used with color.
- No walls inside the rooms, corridors, common rooms, floors of the halls should be sprinkled with colors.
- No one should be out of hall area for bathing after the celebration.
The festival was monitored by Prof. Suman Jha, Warden, SD Hall of Residence.
- The wardens and assistant wardens were requested to send a report of the workability condition of the fire extinguishers present in the halls and also estimate the number of extra fire extinguishers, if required.
- The wardens and assistant wardens were requested to provide the list of cots and tables of the halls along with the list of unused/damaged cots and tables lying in the halls.
Thus, with these discussions and decisions, the chief warden requested the committee to work cooperatively and the 39th HMC was brought to an end.