Retrospection of Patriotic souls: Republic Day Ceremony
The Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi quoted,
A nation’s culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people.
On 26th January 2018, India commemorated its 69th Republic Day. A day of immense significance, Republic Day not only signifies the glorious day of our country getting acclamation as a sovereign, secular, socialist and democratic republic but also the adoption of the Constitution of the nation. The Indian Constitution on this day, back then in the year 1950, came into effect in order to serve as a promptuary which helped in the country's transition towards becoming an independent republic. NIT Rourkela too celebrated this auspicious day with humongous grandeur and exuberance.
The ceremony commenced with the receiving of the Chief Guest, Prof. Animesh Biswas, Director of NIT Rourkela at 8 am sharp followed by the hoisting of National flag and singing of National Anthem by the students of REC campus school. Following which Prof. Animesh Biswas along with Prof. U.K. Mishra and Prof. V. Shiv Kumar, the Associative NCC Officer (ANO) of Army wing and Navy wing respectively went for the inspection of platoons.
The march past began with great fervor where cadets of Army wing, Navy wing, Security guards and students of REC campus school partook in a parade. The entire troop was being led by SUO(Senior Under Officer) Subham Sethi followed by SCC(Senior Cadet Captain) Biranga Ray who was leading the Navy wing.
Furthermore, Prof. Animesh Biswas addressed the audience with his motivational speech in which he stated about the global and national ranking of NIT Rourkela as well as enlightened the gathering about the “Best Teacher Award” and “Lifetime Achievement Award”, which were offered for the first time in NITR. National Integration Pledge was taken by the masses and subsequently, the Felicitation ceremony took place.
The laudable dignitaries were presented with the awards by Prof. K.K. Mahapatra and Prof. Animesh Biswas which are as follows:
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Prof. G.K. Ray (Department of Chemical Engineering)
- Best Teacher Award – Prof. Alok Satpathy (Department of Mechanical Engineering)
- Best Officer Award – Mr. Kshiroda Kumar Sahoo, Asst. Registrar (F&A)
- Best Staff (Administrative Higher Cadre) Award – Mr. Gyanendra Kumar Swain, Senior Accountant, SRICCE Office
- Best Staff (Technical Higher Cadre) Award – Dr. Samir Mohanty, Manager, Guest Houses
- Best Staff (Administrative Lower Cadre) Award – Mr. Suraj Kumar Modak, Junior Assistant, Purchase and Works Office
- Best Staff (Technical Lower Cadre) Award – Mr. Rabindra Kumar Nayak, Senior Technician, EE Department
The upcoming set of awards were the Best Cadet Awards which were accorded by Lt. U.K. Mishra and Director Prof. Animesh Biswas which are as follows.
- Best Senior Cadet in NCC, Army wing – Mr. Subham Sethi
- Best Junior Cadet in NCC, Army wing – Mr. Abhishek Das
- Best Senior Cadet in NCC, Naval wing – Mr. Biranga Ray
- Best Junior Cadet in NCC, Naval wing – Mr. Sonnareddy Lokesh
Finally, the event concluded on a patriotic note with the recitation of Patriotic song and presentation of a graceful Sambalpuri dance performance by the REC school students.