The Preface To Academics 101 : A Situation Analysis

(This article forms the preface to the 3 article series on Academic Review by Monday Morning. Divert to the links to read the complete articles. An appendix has been included at the end of this article to navigate the article topicwise.)

There are many aspects of life in NIT Rourkela and Academics is definitely the major one. Whether you live, thrive or survive here, it depends a great deal on your academic graph. It could be the primary purpose of your stay or a background concern weighted against more engrossing activities. It could provide you with a constantly challenging environment or a brush with a crisis of sorts and a search for true interest. Whatever it may, Academics touches entire populace at NIT-R. Team Monday Morning, through this series of articles, would discuss some of the major aspects of the academic curriculum by personifying our ‘Engineer Momo’. For the readers who don’t already know, ‘Engineer Momo’ is our mascot who portrays the life of students at this institute. For details have a look at the creature in the illustrations.

PART 1: THE FRESH FACE

The first semester was a period of transition for our ‘fresh’ Engineer Momo. He was settling into the vastness of NIT Rourkela and was still exploring its lanes when the mid semesters kicked in. The glimpse of the freshers at BBA was still alive in his eyes when he realized that his college career has begun. But, with his mid semesters going disastrously securing less than 7 in Mathematics (MA 1001) and Electrical (EE 1000), he understood the need to work hard. He prioritized academics over other pursuits at the institute. With assistance from his Professor in the Electrical department and his mentor’s help in Mathematics, he tried getting into pace with the syllabus. When the results were announced in the winters, he was fortunate enough to clear all his subjects with satisfactory grades. But all the freshers were not as fortunate as our Momo.

Click on the link below to read the article on the performance by first years in the concluded autumn semester and the other topics concerning first year’s.

PART 1: A FIRST YEAR'S READ

PART 2: THE SOPHOMORE

It was July 2018, our sophomore Engineer Momo was back into the campus after a long summer break. People were also filling into the campus for the beginning of the new autumn semester. The institute was abuzz around two academic reforms which were going to be implemented for the first time since this session: the Branch Change and the Minor Degree. Our Momo has had excellent CGPA. He had his eyes on Minor Degree. It was an excellent opportunity for him, an opportunity to graduate with two degrees in two disciplines. A circular came to him via webmail asking interested sophomores with a CG > 7.5 to pursue a minor degree and fill the preferences in the NITRIS portal. Momo filled his preferences. He was allotted his preferred minor and the session began. The problem began later in the month of August when Momo thought of deregistering from minor degrees by submitting an application to the Dean Academics. It was not even mid semesters and our academically excellent Momo had opted out. This is not just the story of our ‘Engineer Momo’; it is the story of around 55 odd second-year students who have deregistered from Minor Course.

Click on the link below to find out what went wrong with our Momo and his batchmates. Why were there such a high number of people dropping out?

PART 2: THE MAJOR "MINOR" FIASCO

PART 3: THE FINAL YEAR MOMO:

NIT-R houses students of many disciplines; it includes Engineering, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences and Management. The customary thick text of ‘Academic Curriculum’ guidelines their education. With the passage of time, the stakeholders have risen to bring renaissance. They say “Modern problems require modern solutions”. This puts the Committee of Chiefs at the helm of affairs. They have decided to review the pretext and bring about the changes required. They go among themselves to conduct meetings and discussions with the chiefs of respective departments. One of our Final Year Engineer Momo is called out of his class to attend them. It's the Curriculum Review Meeting.

Click on the link below to read on our coverage of the recently concluded Curriculum Review Meeting. Know the changes proposed and know what to expect.

PART 3: REDEFINING NIT-R'S PEDAGOGY- CURRICULUM REVIEW MEETING

Being students before the student media body, we, at Monday Morning understand Academics is the major concern of the general populace. To embrace change towards betterment and keep up with the pace of development, we underline the importance of regular curriculum updates. With this series of articles, we bring something for everyone’s feed. Delve into the articles linked within and get an in-depth analysis at a multitude of levels. 

APPENDIX:

(Use this appendix to navigate the series topic wise)

1. First Year’s results and its analysis: Ref. Part 1 → Part 1.1
  2. Branch Change: Ref Part 1 → Part 1.2
  3. Minor Degree (an opportunity) → Reff Part 1 → Part 1.2
  4. Extra Academic Activites – NSS/PE/NCC: Ref Part 1 → Part 1.2
  5. Minor Degree (major problems): Ref Part 2
  6. Curriculum Change Meetings: Ref Part 3
  7. Opinion on Curriculum: Ref Part 3

Comments