Ask a Question

If you have any queries and you do not know how to reach the authorities - ask a question anonymously and we'll get you your answers.

Note : Login before submitting to get notifications when answered

All Answers

  • How is the architecture department at NIT Rourkela?

    • Response From Team MM

      The degree offered is Bachelors of Architecture, a 5-year undergraduate course that focuses on the artistic and organizational aspects of construction. It consists of 12 seats for home state students and 13 for students from other states, all gender-neutral. Housed in the TIIR building, it consists of studios and labs with advanced visualization and drafting software, a departmental library with more than 700 books related to the subject, The visual arts laboratory, the materials laboratory, and the building energy lab, amongst others. Owing to the recent scenario of uncertainties, the faculties, and the teaching methods have been modified to suit the needs of the changing times. For more detailed information, refer to the link: 

  • What is the maximum permissible number of leaves for a student per semester?

    • Response from Team MM:

      A student is entitled to a limited number of academic visits and SAC leaves, 10 medical emergency leaves and 6 TnP leaves in a semester, on the production of valid reason and documentation. Such leaves should not exceed 24 in a semester and are not granted for personal reasons. The leave applications are found in the Attendance and Leave section in NITRIS and must be signed in advance by the relevant authority and granted and approved before being uploaded in the NITRIS portal.

  • Can a first year student do a project in Summer at NIT-R ?

    • Response by Team MM:

      Although first-year Summer projects are not credited for evaluation by the institute, any student can always seek for a good project in the industry or under their respective department professors by applying on their own terms. Such projects are a responsibility of the student only and not funded in a centralized manner unless provisioned by the project itself. 

      Approach your Faculty Advisor if there are any further issues like leave sanctions and recommendations.

  • Where can I get rental coolers for the coming summer?

    • Response from Team MM:

      Various third-party vendors rent out coolers during summer for affordable rates, one can find their contact numbers from the various shops scattered in and around the campus.

  • What is cgpa to percentage conversion formula? Our institute doesn't have any any fixed declaration on that, but companies ask for percentage.

    • TEAM MM: NIT Rourkela doesn't provide any specific criteria or conversion formula to convert CGPA to percentage, as one is an interval estimation and the other a point estimation. But when required the following formula can be used for reference:
      Percentage = (CGPA - 0.5) × 10
      For instance, a CGPA of 8.5 will be considered to be 80%.
      Sometimes for the purpose of conversion to percentage, TnP (Training and Placement) only considers multiplying the CGPA by 10.

  • I have a family function. Can i apply leave for that?


      No, a student cannot apply for a leave in case of a family function. A student shall be issued leave only in cases of family calamity or personal health issues. Other than that, special cases in which leave will be sanctioned are like representing NITR in any inter-college competitions where proofs are to be submitted to SAC and even final year students get leave with regard to TnP purpose. 

  • Since long the the student travel concession is being pending, the vacation travel concession by train is offering 50%concession, when will the vacation concession for students be started ?


      The student travel concession by train was implemented before REC got converted to NITR. But after 2002, the provision was withdrawn. Till now, no such proposal has been submitted to revive this provision. But if the students vote in favour of bringing this provision back in action, we can reimplement it.

  • Why isn't the contact details of warden of SSB available in the app of MM?


      The details have been updated in the latest version of the app.

  • Why do certificates like the Studentship certificate or the Conduct certificate not contain the expected course duration?


      When applying for a visa, the concerned authorities are primarily interested in seeing your educational certificates that include your degree certificate and official transcripts. I do not understand the necessity of such additional requirements. They do not ask for your conduct certificates; they only want to know if it is good or bad. Your degree certificate contains sufficient information. This is the method adopted all across the country and we too abide by it.

  • Why arenot there any surprise inspections and regular feedbacks from the 1st year hostel boarders regarding whether the elected secretaries are doing what they are ought to do or not?

    • Response by Saurabh Dutta( warden MV hall)

      We have not received any official orders from the Chief Warden's office to conduct such surprise inspections so we refrain from doing so. I am quite satisfied with the work of MV hall's elected representatives. We have not witnessed any such unfavourable situations of that degree that would make such consider this decision. They help to bridge the gap between the Warden and the boarders. We have always given an ear to the plight of our boarders so we have not considered such decisions.

      Response by H.K. Sahoo ( warden GDB hall)

      Since the members are elected for a tenure of one year, the only way to deal with irresponsible behaviour is to talk it out with them. A surprise inspection isn’t quite necessary as their work is quite transparent.

Ask a Question Forum